Sunday, February 14, 2016

#Scriptchat Transcript with Kirk Moore @KirkWrites79 on Breaking Into TV

Great chat tonight with Kirk Moore @KirkWrites79, writer on AMERICAN CRIME, talking breaking in, fellowships, writing specs and pilots and more! Enjoy! @jeannevb

Read the transcript below or on the Storify site.

#Scriptchat Transcript with Kirk Moore @KirkWrites79 on Breaking Into TV

#Scriptchat Transcript with Kirk Moore @KirkWrites79 on Breaking Into TV

Great chat tonight with Kirk Moore, writer on AMERICAN CRIME, talking breaking in, fellowships, writing specs and pilots and more! Enjoy! @jeannevb

  1. #Scriptchat TOPIC: Breaking into TV, fellowships & importance of a good spec & sample with @KirkWrites79. Let the questions fly!
  2. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 Hey guys! Happy Valentine's Day to you both! *waves* Welcome Kirk and thanks for joining us! #scriptchat
  3. Looking forward. Been a 100 years since I popped in. 😊 #scriptchat
  4. @KirkWrites79 Q: Given that American Crime's story changes each season, is it easier/harder to write an episode, or the same? #scriptchat
  5. So for those who haven't met @KirkWrites79 yet, he's a writer on AMERICAN CRIME. Just had a critically acclaimed episode air. #scriptchat
  6. @JoleeneMoody Hey Jolene! *waves* Happy Valentine's Day to you too! Welcome back! #scriptchat
  7. Let's pick @KirkWrites79's brain on breaking into TV, fellowships, writing specs & writing samples. Shoot your Qs out! #scriptchat
  8. @filmwritr4 @KirkWrites79 I came on in season 2. So I just had to jump right in. I would say it's the same though. #scriptchat
  9. @KirkWrites79 Q: If you had to spec any show right now, what would it be (comedy/drama)? #scriptchat
  10. @filmwritr4 @KirkWrites79 Definitely drama. But it's tough. I'd probably spec "Rectify." It's one of my favorite shows. #scriptchat
  11. @KirkWrites79 I see. I did read that this is Rectify’s last season, though. #scriptchat
  12. "The wacky comedy from the writer of "American Crime!"" #scriptchat
  13. @TheLewisEffect Thank you. So glad the response has been so positive. All the writers are great and John is fantastic. #scriptchat
  14. I have never seen Rectify. Too many shows, so little time. #scriptchat
  15. @TheLewisEffect I didn't have much tv experience before I started entering the fellowship programs. #scriptchat
  16. @KirkWrites79 Q: Because American Crime is serialized, what is the process like for breaking story in the writers' room? #scriptchat
  17. @KirkWrites79 Looking back, is there anything you'd do differently in your career? #scriptchat
  18. @filmwritr4 @KirkWrites79 Without being too specific. John has a clear vision for the season & it's our job to bring it to life. #scriptchat
  19. RT @KirkWrites79 @TheLewisEffect I didn't have much tv experience before I started entering the fellowship programs. #scriptchat
  20. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 I started entering diversity fellowships. I submitted 3 years in a row. Was chosen on my 3rd try. #scriptchat
  21. @KirkWrites79 How hard was it to sit down and put the ideas for this season together? Such a tough topic to approach. #scriptchat
  22. @crawford_gail @KirkWrites79 Not really. I believe things happen as they should. But being comfortable interviews was a chore. #scriptchat
  23. RT @KirkWrites79 I started entering diversity fellowships. I submitted 3 years in a row. Was chosen on my 3rd try. #scriptchat
  24. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 Meeting deadlines and writing quickly. I had a full-time job and still had to meet every deadline. #scriptchat
  25. @KirkWrites79 How much research did you put into this season, w regards to giving the subject matter the careful care it needs? #scriptchat
  26. @KirkWrites79 @SarahAlexis4 Typically, how long does it take to get a script completed from drafts to production? #scriptchat
  27. @KirkWrites79 can you tell us what made the 3rd try different from the rest? #scriptchat
  28. @crawford_gail @KirkWrites79 Lots and lots of reading. Articles. Books. Documentaries. It was important to be authentic. #scriptchat
  29. @madySuquet @KirkWrites79 It was my personal interview. I was a finalist all 3 years, but couldn't get past the interview. #scriptchat
  30. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 Write a show that you love and craft a story that speaks to you personally. #scriptchat
  31. RT @KirkWrites79 @madySuquet It was my personal interview. I was a finalist all 3 years, but couldn't get past the interview. #scriptchat
  32. @KirkWrites79 Thank you for your interaction w fans each week. It's enlightening and interesting to tweet w you. ☺ #scriptchat
  33. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 At the time I worked for a psychic company. So I wrote an Orange is the Black about spirituality. #scriptchat
  34. @KirkWrites79 What screenplays (either movie or TV) would you recommend aspiring/current writers read? #scriptchat
  35. @filmwritr4 @KirkWrites79 Read "Mad Men." Perfect in its use of theme/structure. Also, "The Wire" and "Friday Night Lights." #scriptchat
  36. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 Be candid. And not woe is me candid. But speak to a very personal experience that informs your work. #scriptchat
  37. RT @KirkWrites79 Read "Mad Men." Perfect in its use of theme/structure. Also, "The Wire" and "Friday Night Lights." #scriptchat
  38. @KirkWrites79 Are there any specific episodes of series (in either genre) you recommend to study as examples of great writing? #scriptchat
  39. @crawford_gail @KirkWrites79 I love David Simon. I've probably studied him more than any other tv writer. #scriptchat
  40. RT @KirkWrites79 Be candid. And not woe is me candid. But speak to a very personal experience that informs your work. #scriptchat
  41. @KirkWrites79 Maybe a hard question: What do you think many of today's scripts most lack? #scriptchat
  42. @KirkWrites79 It must be a great feeling to write for a show that doesn't suffer from the lack of diversity curse? #scriptchat
  43. @TheWrookie @KirkWrites79 Hey Despina! *waves* Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours! <3 Great to have you here! #scriptchat
  44. @filmwritr4 @KirkWrites79 The Wire pilot. "Boys of Summer" from The Wire. And "The Runner" from Southland...perfect procedural. #scriptchat
  45. #scriptchat @KirkWrites79 I've heard that "no one reads specs anymore," outside of fellowships. ?
  46. @KirkWrites79 Will check those out too. Thanks so much for recommending these! #scriptchat
  47. @KirkWrites79 What has been the biggest challenge for you at the writer's table?#scriptchat
  48. @TheLewisEffect @KirkWrites79 I love the diversity of our writing staff, cast and crew. It really makes a difference. #scriptchat
  49. @KirkWrites79 How hard is it to create and maintain the tension all season on a show like #AmericanCrime? #scriptchat
  50. RT @KirkWrites79 The Wire pilot. "Boys of Summer" from The Wire. And "The Runner" from Southland...perfect procedural. #scriptchat
  51. @KirkWrites79 Was the Anne/Taylor/Evy email/texts scene as hard to write as it was to watch? (emotionally, I mean) #scriptchat
  52. @madySuquet @KirkWrites79 I don't know of challenge. But confidence is important. Knowing you're supposed to be there. #scriptchat
  53. @KirkWrites79 When starting out, is TV something you knew you wanted to do or...? #scriptchat
  54. RT @KirkWrites79 @madySuquet I don't know of challenge. But confidence is important. Knowing you're supposed to be there. #scriptchat
  55. @kirkmoore Are you at all interested in any other facet of the biz? Directing, producing, writing for features ...? #scriptchat
  56. @pwquinn @KirkWrites79 It was actually fun. I know it's a tough scene to watch but I got to lay it all out. That's alway great. #scriptchat
  57. @StoryBroads @KirkWrites79 I started out writing comedy features before I went over to TV drama. #scriptchat
  58. @KirkWrites79 how did you get your first tv writing gig? As a writers assistant, agent, connection, etc? #scriptchat
  59. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 When I went out for staffing meetings I made sure I dressed nice and smelled good. #scriptchat
  60. @KirkWrites79 It must feel good to know that your writing is bringing such an important topic out into the open. #scripchat #scriptchat
  61. @KirkWrites79 was the switch from features to TV for purposes of breaking in or just a change of focus? #scriptchat
  62. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 I came up with questions to ask and any ideas I had for the series and pilot. #scriptchat
  63. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 Star Trek had a great program for accepting fan scripts and ideas. Why does no other show do this? #scriptchat
  64. @KirkWrites79 When you submitted for American Crime, did you have any other samples (spec/original) on hand? #scriptchat
  65. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 I didn't want to write comedy anymore. And I loved the direction tv drama was taking. #scriptchat
  66. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 Plus, I felt there was more diversity of taste in tv drama. I just added comedy to my drama specs. #scriptchat
  67. @KirkWrites79 Dramas are really hot right now. Most of what's on t v is better than what's at the cineplex. #scriptchat
  68. @chilltowntv Hey! *waves* Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours! <3 Welcome! #scriptchat
  69. @KirkWrites79 Very interesting. Would you still recommend writers do specs, even though less of them are being read these days? #scriptchat
  70. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 From my experience, most showrunners want original pilots. They want to know YOUR unique voice. #scriptchat
  71. @KirkWrites79 what do you wish you knew about the TV world that you didn't know when you applied to your first fellowship? #scriptchat
  72. @filmwritr4 @KirkWrites79 I think specs are important, especially if you're going to enter fellowship programs. #scriptchat
  73. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 It's okay to be yourself. Be candid. Be honest. They want to know YOU. #scriptchat
  74. What if it's a pilot within an already existing world? Like a spinoff of different characters within it? #scriptchat
  75. @KirkWrites79 I've thought about writing one, but I just need to think of a good story and a good show to write for. #scriptchat
  76. RT @KirkWrites79 @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 It's okay to be yourself. Be candid. Be honest. They want to know YOU. #scriptchat
  77. @KirkWrites79 Do you feel like you ever struggled to find your voice as a writer? #scriptchat
  78. Also, your original sample should mean something to you. It should be your experience and your story. #scriptchat
  79. RT @KirkWrites79 Also, your original sample should mean something to you. It should be your experience and your story. #scriptchat
  80. When they ask, "What made you write this?" You can take them on a personal journey that controls the conversation or interview. #scriptchat
  81. @KirkWrites79 After you've written an original pilot, what are the appropriate steps to scoring a pitch meeting? #scriptchat
  82. @crawford_gail @KirkWrites79 No. I knew what I wanted to write. My style is socially relevant entertainment. #scriptchat
  83. @KirkWrites79 For an original pilot, would you recommend 'writing what you know', along with the stories you identify with? #scriptchat
  84. @KirkWrites79 is grad school the BEST option for someone wanting to be a screenwriter or a time suck?#scriptchat
  85. @XavierBugatti @KirkWrites79 I didn't go on many pitch meetings. My IN was through the fellowships. But I did table reads. #scriptchat
  86. @KirkWrites79 Good. I've never struggled w my voice, either. I know who I am and what I want to say. #scriptchat
  87. @KirkWrites79 How vital would you say having an agent is in the career of tv writers? #scriptchat
  88. @throwsomeGsonit @KirkWrites79 That depends on you. I didn't go to grad school for screenwriting. I read lots of pilots. #scriptchat
  89. @XavierBugatti @KirkWrites79 Very vital. I'm not the greatest at networking, so it's good to have someone working on my behalf. #scriptchat
  90. @KirkWrites79 What's your opinion of streaming/online content (web series), and what are some of your favorites? #scriptchat
  91. @SarahAlexis4 @KirkWrites79 Be yourself. I will say this over and over again. Also, be patient. Listen first. Gauge the room. #scriptchat
  92. @KirkWrites79 when building ur body of work (original/spec) were they in a variety of styles? or did you focus on one genre? #scriptchat
  93. @KirkWrites79 any tips on working with reps? How much you still have to hustle on your own? #scriptchat
  94. @KirkWrites79 How much did you have written/ ready to go before applying for fellowships? #scriptchat
  95. @heatherAtaylor @KirkWrites79 I focused on drama, specifically dramedy. Also, I wrote stories bent on social change. #scriptchat
  96. @heatherAtaylor @KirkWrites79 I had a spec and a pilot. One strong spec and one strong pilot can go a long way. #scriptchat
  97. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 My reps are great. But I go to networking events, read trades, all of that. Work for yourself. #scriptchat
  98. @KirkWrites79 good to know - I worry that I have to have so many other things ready to go and that I'll miss an op without them #scriptchat
  99. @heatherAtaylor @KirkWrites79 I've gotten all my jobs with one pilot. I have more. But one has worked very well for me. #scriptchat
  100. Only 10 minutes left with @KirkWrites79, writer on AMERICAN CRIME, talking breaking into TV, fellowships, writing specs & pilots #scriptchat
  101. @KirkWrites79 I have a well developed drama but more passionate about sci-fi so currently working on new pilot in that bent #scriptchat
  102. I know there's a lot of tv out there, so it's hard to keep up with everything. But you have to watch tv. Lots of it. #scriptchat
  103. I can't stress enough to write about things you care about. My stories range from police brutality to sexuality to education. #scriptchat
  104. @KirkWrites79 how does the writing team work? Do you collaborate ideas and then put together a dialog 4 your characters? #scriptchat
  105. @KirkWrites79 I did watch an episode of #Rectify as part of research for an interview I did with its composer for @FSMOnlineMag. #scriptchat
  106. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 I've been writing forever. Started in theatre. But it took 3 years from the time I wrote my 1st spec. #scriptchat
  107. @KirkWrites79 congrats on great reviews of your AMERICAN CRIME episode. Must have felt amazing to see your words come to life. #scriptchat
  108. @KirkWrites79 I don't have a question but just wanted to take the time to say congrats on everything! You're an inspiration. #scriptchat
  109. @KirkWrites79 Thanks for the tweets tonight. Appreciate it. Will share w my students tomorrow. #scriptchat
  110. @jeannevb @KirkWrites79 It was a bit overwhelming. I was very proud of my episode, but the response was really surprising. #scriptchat
  111. @KirkWrites79 @jeannevb Congrats on your episode for American Crime, and I wish you continued success w/your writing! #scriptchat
  112. @KirkWrites79 Three years are nothing in this industry. Great way to hustle! #scriptchat
  113. @KirkWrites79 Thanks so much for joining us, and for taking the time to respond to our questions! Really appreciate it! #scriptchat
  114. @KirkWrites79 Q: How close to the current story should one adhere to on a spec script? #scriptchat
  115. @KirkWrites79 Thanks also for responding to my questions as well, and for the recommendations for scripts/TV shows! #scriptchat
  116. @TheLewisEffect @KirkWrites79 Umm... I love theatre. I want to write a one-man show for myself. Maybe it'll happen. Who knows? #scriptchat
  117. @KirkWrites79 Thanks for sharing your great advice and everyone watch American Crime. #scriptchat
  118. Thanks so much @KirkWrites79 for taking the time to do this! Really helpful & illuminating. Wish you continued success. #scriptchat
  119. @KirkWrites79 Do you still get scared of pushing the envelope (re : material), and if so, how do you deal with that? #scriptchat
  120. @KirkWrites79 thanks for all the great insight! And for answering all our questions :) #scriptchat
  121. @KirkWrites79 Again, thanks. You're always fun to learn from. Will share w my students tomorrow. #scriptchat
  122. Thanks so much @KirkWrites79 for your generosity! Really appreciate it. I'll grab a transcript after the chat quiets. #scriptchat
  123. Ping me if you have anyone on your wishlist for a future guest & I'll try to get them on #scriptchat

No comments:

Post a Comment