Sunday, March 17, 2013

Euro Chat Transcript - Guest Sarah Pinborough

Thanks so much to Euro Scriptchat's guest, Novelist and Screenwriter, Sarah Pinborough




 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
It's  O'CLOCK! Tonight we're joined by guest @SarahPinborough



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@teenierussell Hello!



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
It's  O'CLOCK! Tonight we're joined by guest @SarahPinborough
Retweeted by Debbie Moon



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
You can check out Sarah's cool Bio here - http://t.co/0TPSVzWtE8



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
@SarahPinborough Hi *waves* Thank you for joining us tonight!



 
Scott Myers @GoIntoTheStory10h
6 part interview series: Screenwriters Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber, "(500) Days of Summer" http://t.co/cDPNvYDk9K



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@teenierussell I'm in my dressing gown. Hope that's okay!



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
@SarahPinborough Just make yourself at home, don't mind me. There's wine in the fridge



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@clappers liked the change of discipline and was lucky enough to have met some producers etc who could help direct my ideas



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
RT: @Beardy_Dave  Sarah are you currently collaborating with F Paul Wilson on something? can you share any details?



 
Debbie Moon @DebbieBMoon10h
@SarahPinborough  What prompted you to move from horror writing to crime writing? How do they compare?



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK10h
@teenierussell Hit Teenie and Sarah.n



 
Matthew Kane @matthewkane10h
Writers significantly less.  http://t.co/ZItoRoKYmD"



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK10h
That was a typo. I'm not usually that aggressive on Scriptchat. :)



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
@BrevityRulesOK Hi there :-)



 
Jeff Winterton @jeffige10h
What time is  ? Anyone... Anyone..."



 
Sharita @14Shari10h
@SarahPinborough what is mostly the genenis of your story? An idea, an experience, something else?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@DebbieBMoon I'd got a bit bored of straight horror & realised I liked reading crime..I like the challenge of complex plotting..



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@DebbieBMoon  but my crime stuff still has weird in it!



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@14Shari  normally I get an image - which i guess is why I now also do screenwriting. I'll get a visual of something &..1/2



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
@jeffige the Euro chat is happening right now w/ guest @SarahPinborough The US is at 8pm EST w/ an Open Topic



 
Sharita @14Shari10h
@SarahPinborough how do you plot your crime stories?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@14Shari  the rest forms around it.



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
It's  O'CLOCK! Tonight we're joined by guest @SarahPinborough
Retweeted by Andr\u00e9s Serrato H.



 
Dave Fielding @Beardy_Dave10h
@SarahPinborough Loved the Dog Faced Gods - is there more of this genre to come after the fairy tales



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@clappers  No, I don't prefer it, but it's equally enjoyable. Just different!



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@14Shari  with lots of notebooks! I start with a beginning and end and then work from there. It's slow and tricky!



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell10h
@SarahPinborough How did you make the transition from novel to screenplay? Was is a conscious decision?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough10h
@Beardy_Dave  Thank you! Mayhem and Murder are more that genre in that they're crime with a hint of supernatural.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  Yes it was. I'd always wanted to try my hand at screenwriting as a different form of storytelling.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough I would love to write a short crime story. Any tips for a beginner like me?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  A short story is a great place to start, but keep the story SMALL. One neat twist and a good character!



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  I met a producer interested in one of my horror novels and it didn't come to anything but I started to play 1/2



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
A short story is a great place to start, but keep the story SMALL. One neat twist and a good character!
Retweeted by Teenie Russell



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough thank u. Which crime writers do you admire?



 
S.J. @mantischild9h
@SarahPinborough How do you write scary scenes, visually? implied? or a bit of both?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  with it and learned final draft and then went from there with original stuff.



 
Dumisani Zungu @DumiZungu9h
Interesting. RT @ozzywood: Hollywood sex? Does it still sell? | Inside Movies | http://t.co/48cnU0zxaR #screenwriting



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  I love @jconnollybooks stuff and @ememess and also loved Cold Hands by @NivenJ1. There are loads I like!



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK9h
@SarahPinborough When writing, do you work on both novels and screenplays at the same time, or do you try keep them separate?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@mantischild  In novels, more implied (these days), and in scripts I now try to imply it - and let the director decide from there



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@BrevityRulesOK  ideally, I keep them separate, but currently I'm working on Murder (novel) and have re-writes on Cracked.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough do you work on multiple projects ? If so, how do you divide your time?



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough It seems to happen a lot that a story sparks an interest in producer but it's something else that gets made



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@BrevityRulesOK  I have some days with Peter Medak the director coming up so lots of script work alongside the novel.



 
Zinarta @HouseOfJudea9h
@14Shari @SarahPinborough Some great short stories to read but different genre would be #EdgarAllanPoe



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@DebbieBMoon I'd got a bit bored of straight horror & realised I liked reading crime..I like the challenge of complex plotting..
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@DebbieBMoon  but my crime stuff still has weird in it!
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough but it shows that they like the style and writer



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  it's difficult! I try and divide my workspaces and times. So, morning on the novel in one room, then diff for script.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough how do you plot your crime stories?
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  Yes, also, films are so collaborative. I have my story, the producers have their ideas, the director, his...



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  with lots of notebooks! I start with a beginning and end and then work from there. It's slow and tricky!
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough How did you make the transition from novel to screenplay? Was is a conscious decision?
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  Yes it was. I'd always wanted to try my hand at screenwriting as a different form of storytelling.
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK9h
@SarahPinborough Do you find that there's a cross-fertilization between styles? Has writing novels impacted your screenplay?



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough I would love to write a short crime story. Any tips for a beginner like me?
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Dave Fielding @Beardy_Dave9h
@sarahpinborough Last year F Paul Wilson listed you as one of the most exciting authors around. Who do you read for pleasure?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  A short story is a great place to start, but keep the story SMALL. One neat twist and a good character!
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough that's a great tip - different workspaces.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@BrevityRulesOK  Definitely! I would say screenplay writing has changed the way I write dialogue in novels.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
I try and divide my workspaces and times. So, morning on the novel in one room, then diff for script.
Retweeted by Teenie Russell



 
Will Dixon @wcdixon9h
@sarahpinborough What things WON'T you do? Oh, not 'those' kinds of questions. :)



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@Beardy_Dave  bless him! I'm trying to expand my reading. Weirdly, the more you write the less you read. But John Connolly &



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough do you have a writing buddy?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@Beardy_Dave  Michael Marshall. But I'm about to start @Massawyrm's Dreams & Shadows. He wrote Sinister so a film crossover!



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough do you work on multiple projects ? If so, how do you divide your time?
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  it's difficult! I try and divide my workspaces and times. So, morning on the novel in one room, then diff for script.
Retweeted by Dion Winton-Polak



 
Zinarta @HouseOfJudea9h
@SarahPinborough How early do you do a read through of your script with actors? First draft. Second draft or final?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@wcdixon  ha ha! I don't know..I don't' think I could ever write a Twilight or 50 shades..I like things funnier or darker.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough what works for you when you write a story?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  As in someone I write with? no…I have lots of buddies who are writers tho. ;-)



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
It's  O'CLOCK! Tonight we're joined by guest @SarahPinborough
Retweeted by R.J. Booth



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@HouseOfJudea  it's down to producers/directors etc. Read through at New Tricks was stressful! weird hearing your words!



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  In what way?



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough How did you get the gig on New Tricks?



 
Will Dixon @wcdixon9h
@sarahpinborough I meant won't do 'in bed' actually...though your answer still may apply.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough do you have a special way of working that works for you? A routine maybe, a special place, or something else



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell I was lucky in that Amanda Redman had read my books and encouraged me to pitch to the producers.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  and was lucky enough to proceed from there. Was a baptism of fire though. primetime tv is a hectic business!



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  in the morning I wrk in bed! first thing. Sometimes I work in a coffee shop. If Im outlining a script then a larger..



 
Zinarta @HouseOfJudea9h
@SarahPinborough  Yes it weird hearing your words! Did you find them helpful?Did you edit your script a lot based on reading?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  room because I might outline scenes on cards and spread them around to see what works.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@rabbitandcrow  I wake up about 7, start work about 7.45..then about about 11 do some exercise and chores then write more!



 
Dave Fielding @Beardy_Dave9h
Sarah was it difficult to write the 3 fairy tales given the limits of the existing tales? Did this change your writing methods?



 
Neal Romanek @rabbitandcrow9h
.@SarahPinborough Always my favorite writer question: What does your typical work day look like?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@HouseOfJudea  You edit after a read through based on timings or issues that might come up at that point I had to trim 8 minutes!



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough Monk, Lewis, Morse, Holmes, Lynley, Millhone, S. Spade, P. Marlowe, Miss Marple,are some great characters. 1/2



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough what a great story. Is there a writer's room or do you get a brief and go away and write the script?



 
Ken Armstrong @kenarmstrong19h
@SarahPinborough You are an inspirational person. Sorry, it's questions innit? Do you know you are an inspirational person? :)



 
Liam O'Dell @lifeofathinker9h
@kanundra Hi Dawn, I remember you taking part in ... Do you fancy taking part in my #reviewchat



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough are you currently working on your own great character? 2/2



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  No brief, you pitch, then you do a treatment, and then once that's agreed you go to script.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  I don't think I could write a crime series. I jump around in genres too much. Although I do have a 3 parter ..



 
tallheart @TallHeartbooks9h
This Script needs YOU! Be part of publishing this beautifully written play http://t.co/pgiI7J3EaB #poetry  #bizitalk #DV"
Retweeted by cctheatreco



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  in development with World Productions which could create a series character;-)



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@kenarmstrong1  *blushes*



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
We're half-way through  with writer @SarahPinborough Come join us with your questions!



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough do you do u'r research first (how long does that take) or while writing your story?



 
Neal Romanek @rabbitandcrow9h
@sarahpinborough Do you do page/word counts? Or use any kind of progress benchmarks?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  Depends how much research I need. I tend to research as I go. Otherwise you can research so much you lose your point.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@rabbitandcrow  If I'm working on a book, I aim at 2000 words a day (or 10,000 a week), with a script 8 pages a day.



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
When you come up with ideas, do you immediately know whether it will be a novel or a screenplay? Does it ever change?



 
Zinarta @HouseOfJudea9h
@rabbitandcrow excellent question Neal! #WritingGoals



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
If Im working on a book, I aim at 2000 words a day (or 10,000 a week), with a script 8 pages a day.
Retweeted by Teenie Russell



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough 'Outlining novels limits my creativity' True or false for you?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  in practicality, if you're a successful novelist, you have to do it. I sell my books on outline now, so ...



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  it's painful to do, but it's part of the job. Things change, but publishers expect the book you sold them;-)



 
Mark Sanderson @scriptcat9h
Lucky LA—Don't miss @LACMA #film series "Beyond the Infinite: Science Fiction after #Kubrick" 3/22 - 4/6 http://t.co/i3Q0vce8OD



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough How did you get your first break as a novelist?



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK9h
@SarahPinborough How much detail goes into the outline for a publisher?



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough how long to you take to outline your ideas?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@BrevityRulesOK  You normally do a one-page and then a longer synopsis. Maybe with a few thousand words opener.



 
Dawn Chapman @kanundra9h
@lifeofathinker I almost missed it again... too busy editing lol. :) Sure hit me with details.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough when did you know you're a writer? How old were you and how did this feeling of knowing came trough



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  I'm a massive planner. I spent a month researching and outlining Murder before I started writing 2 weeks ago.



 
Zinarta @HouseOfJudea9h
@SarahPinborough What advice would you give to novelists who want to self publish there writing? Any particular E-book software?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  I always wrote. As soon as I could write -which was early. I started taking it seriously probably when I was 30.



 
Parables Today @storynotes9h
Everything should build to the climax.-Elia Kazan #screenwriting



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@HouseOfJudea  I'm not a great advocate of self-publishing so I wouldn't know. I think in many cases it avoids honing your craft



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@HouseOfJudea  to an acceptable standard. Harsh, I know, but so many are just hobbyists.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough where do you want to be with your writing in 5/10 years?



 
Dawn Chapman @kanundra9h
@SarahPinborough I've read some great indie books and some terrible ones. Editing and proofing are a must.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  It's a tough market out there, so as much as I'd love to be UBER-successful, I'd happy to still have stuff being made/



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  published.



 
Stuart Wright @Leytonrocks9h
@14Shari @sarahpinborough I've been surprised how creative outlining can be - but I have to force myself to stick with it



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@kanundra  yep, although indie and self-published are different things..



 
Mark Sanderson @scriptcat9h
Just my usual lazy Sunday—read 2 #screenplays & work on pitch for producer. #Screenwriting never stops http://t.co/owqNaDfM9H



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@Leytonrocks @14shari  I think outlining is important because you know the arc of your story and the themes from it.



 
Dawn Chapman @kanundra9h
@SarahPinborough Ahh, okay. What differences them?



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough do u do most of your research on line? Do u recommend any sites for starting crime writers?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@Leytonrocks @14shari outlining is important because you know the arc of your story and the themes from it.
Retweeted by Teenie Russell



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  Yep, the internet is a godsend. Depends on the crime/location/era etc. Hard to recommend one!



 
tallheart @TallHeartbooks9h
This Script needs YOU! Be part of publishing this beautifully written play http://t.co/pgiI7J3EaB #poetry  #bizitalk #DV"
Retweeted by ArtsAgainst abuse



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough Steven King said he reads a lot. Are you an eager reader too?



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK9h
@SarahPinborough Is it possible to read something you have written for New Tricks?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  I used to be and I'm trying to be again. Too many deadlines get in the way, but reading is vital. Now I make it..



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  part of my day.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@BrevityRulesOK  Not sure if you can read it, but it should be available on iTunes. Episode was called 'Old School Ties'



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK9h
@SarahPinborough Thank you. I'll look out for that. :-)



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough, you're so kind. Thank you for answering my questions. I just started writing my first crime short story.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  Excellent! good luck!



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough When you come up with ideas do you immediately know whether it will be a novel or a screenplay? Does it change?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
Not sure if you can read it, but it should be available on iTunes. Episode was called Old School Ties
Retweeted by Teenie Russell



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  I tend to have different ideas for each. Plus, my novel schedule is busy so I can't pitch more books right now.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@teenierussell  sometimes scripts come from networking. Working on a RomCom with a producer I met at an event we were both at.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough which of your characters would you love to give a sequel?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  Ha! Most of the ones I'd give a sequel to I already have…I'm looking forward to a stand alone novel next!



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
Power of networkingRT: @SarahPinborough sometimes scripts come from networking Working on a RomCom w/ producer I met at an event



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@petewrites @leytonrocks @14shari  yep, definitely where scripts are concerned. I'd rather write them and then sell.



 
Stuart Wright @Leytonrocks9h
@petewrites @14shari @sarahpinborough like a rubber ball bouncing between script / outline ... Improving as we go



 
Simon Underwood @SiFoulaReel9h
Sorry to have missed (the majority of) @SarahPinborough's  - just getting back from all day theatre teching."



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@petewrites @leytonrocks @14shari  yep, definitely where scripts are concerned. I'd rather write them and then sell.
Retweeted by Teenie Russell



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough what do you love to do in your spare time besides reading and writing



 
Dawn Chapman @kanundra9h
Thanks for the info. Will the scribes tomorrow :)



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  I'm quite dull really - love movies, good company, dinners and wine and laughter...



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
5minutes to go on  Got any last questions for @SarahPinborough ?



 
pitchfest.com @ThePitchFest9h
Look out for updates on this year's Great American Pitchfest! #screenwriter
Retweeted by Joe Rosen



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough which writer would you love to meet and wine and dine with?



 
Zinarta @HouseOfJudea9h
@SarahPinborough @14Shari What are your favorite screenplays? I am reading teleplays and screenplays now to study structure



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough that's not dull, that's life real gifts



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  Oh gosh! Hmm.. Stephen King as a novelist..Aaron Sorkin as a screenwriter?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@HouseOfJudea @14shari  I think there are some great old screenplays. Chinatown is genius for structure.



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@SarahPinborough thank you so much for everything, wish you the best :)



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK9h
@SarahPinborough Considering novels, film or TV, which is better suited, for you, to carry a story to an audience?



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@14Shari  Thank you! x



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@BrevityRulesOK  They're all different! TV hits the most people though.



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@GiulyStorm  Sorry, I don't know;-(



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
Thank you so much for joining us tonight @SarahPinborough It's been a great chat!



 
Scott Myers @GoIntoTheStory9h
6 part interview series: Screenwriters Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber, "(500) Days of Summer" http://t.co/cDPNvYDk9K
Retweeted by StephTrill



 
Zinarta @HouseOfJudea9h
@SarahPinborough @14Shari Wow I read chinatown & watched it again recently.I love old movies.Any other old favorite screenplays?



 
Michael Chomse @BrevityRulesOK9h
@SarahPinborough Thank you and Teenie for another great scriptchat. Goodnight!



 
Sarah Pinborough @SarahPinborough9h
@HouseOfJudea @14shari  I should have studied more, but I haven't.. Can't think off the top of my head!



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
@SarahPinborough Hope you have a smooth flight tomorrow!



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
@HouseofJudea I love many screenplays. One of my old favorites is the Maltese Falcon, the one with Bogart in it.



 
Teenie Russell @teenierussell9h
Thank you to everyone who joined us tonight. Have a lovely evening :-)



 
Sharita @14Shari9h
thank you everyone for participating
Reply Retweet  FavoriteFollow

No comments:

Post a Comment